Times to get the gift shopping finalised!
This American card of buttons shows the identical design to that seen on Leda and Embassy branded cards.
Gooch & Hayward, Port Augusta:
The families of the Gooch and Hayward were pioneers of the area of the Spencer Gulf and the Eyre Peninsula region of South Australia. Port Augusta was a seaport near the gulf’s head.
Charles Gooch, and his son Charles Henry Gooch (1834-1917) operated as ‘Charles Gooch & Son’ in King William Street, Adelaide, as wholesale drapers, having arrived in Adelaide in 1855. They dissolved their partnership in1868 (perhaps Dad retired?). His son continued in Port Augusta along with Albertus Lemmus Ricardo Hayward (known as Albert Hayward 1830-1888) as ‘Gooch & Hayward from 1871.
They were shipping and forwarding agents, alcohol merchants and general store keepers. They had their own jetty and were successful enough to build a new, larger store that opened around 1882. In 1883 the tailoring and drapery department of the business was selling ready made clothes, blankets, fancy shirts and hats and were agents for insurance companies. The business employed around 50 people in 1883, making it one of the largest employers of the region.They dissolved the partnership in 1884. Gooch started a new partnership with William and Thomas Scott (Gooch & Scott) which in 1888 merged with Tassie, Scott & Co.The business of ‘Gooch & Hayward’ was in liquidation in 1885.
A.G. Adams, Melbourne:
Alfred George Adams (1849-1921) split from partnership with Isaac Bowley in 1903. from 1904-1912 he advertised his tailoring business as ‘A. G. Adams” at 13 Block Arcade, Melbourne.
A. G. Parker, Adelaide:
Alfred George Parker headed this business from 1921-c.1950. He was also involved in a miniature railways company and a concrete company.
Seen online in NZ:
Better get organised for baking the Christmas cake soon.
Cook, Son & Co. Ltd, Hindley Street Adelaide:
See also the post from 17th October 2108.
In 1914 John Cook bought the business of Mr Harry Stephen Thwaites in Hindley Street. It was renamed Cook, Son & Co. He ran it with his son, Filmer Wesley Cook, and partners William John Gilmour and Ralph Dillon Radford.
Embassy cards 1980s:
Researching hand plaited leather buttons, I learnt that not only was this done by women as outworkers in their own homes, but also by “crippled children”, presumably as a sheltered workshop activity. A lady in Perth did buttons and other leather work as her own small business in Perth.
Mystery solved: Who were the manufacturers of buttons in Queensberry Street and also Flinders Lane (previously mentioned on the “Frederation to WW2” page)? The same company …
Bijou Ornaments Manufacturing Company: Melbourne
In 1938 this company was at 132 Queensberry Street, Carlton. In 1939 it became a propriety limited company with Nitalis Barski and William Hoffman as directors.
They advertised as button manufacturers. In October 1939 they also advertised as located at 110 Flinders Lane, though they stayed at Queensberry Street until 1940. In 1942 they were in liquidation.
The company was revived as the “Bijou Button and Buckle Manufacturing Co.” in the Leroy Buildings, Higson Lane (opposite 129 Flinders Lane) under the management of the widow (Elsie Gintz) of one of the listed liquidators (Charles Gintz. who died in 1943).
Karel (Charles) and Eliska (Elsie) Gintz had fled to Melbourne from Czechoslovakia in 1939. As her husband became unwell and then died in 1943, she had gradually taken over management of the factory, despite not having previous experience. During the war the entire output diverted to military stock. In 1946 the article about her in The Weekly Times claimed there was only one other factory of this type in Melbourne at that time.
Wardens uniform buttons:
NSW Department of Correctional services; Amor Sydney
The term “Department of Correctional Services” dates from 1970. As Amor became Amor-Sanders in 1978, perhaps these buttons date prior to then.
Penal Department Vic; Stokes and Sons
The term ‘Penal Department’ is an older one. I guess these buttons date between 1952-1962 when Stokes and Sons became Stokes (Australasia) Ltd.