T. O’Farrell, Wagga Wagga:
Thomas Joseph (Tom) O’Farrell was a tailor at 112 Baylis Street from 1923. Unfortunately he died suddenly from pneumonia in 1935, aged only 56 years. His brother “Dick” took over and continued tailoring at the same address until 1953. Tom is remembered as a keen sportsman. He was involved in cricket, rugby, athletics and shooting. He is best remembered for starting the O’Farrell Cup in 1925, a competition that continues today.
Daily Advertiser (Wagga) 9th June 1939.
Donaldson & Co, Adelaide.
Originally this firm was known as Donaldson, Andrews & Sharland. It opened as wholesale drapers in Rundle Street, around February 1866. The founders where Alexander Donaldson, Robert Charles Andrews and William Henry Sharland.
Robert Charles Andrews, 1835-1911. His son Robert Charles Crompton Andrews(below) was also involved with the firm.
William Henry Sharland, 1828-1911.
R. C. C. Andrews, son of a founder.
Alexander Donaldson left to live in England in 1870. His son George Frederick Donaldson also worked with the firm. In 1891 the became Donaldson, Andrews & Co, then around 1913 Donaldson’s Limited. In 1933-4 it was taken over by Glassons Limited. The firm expanded over the years to retail as well as wholesale, and became a department store. It had a store in Moonta.
1860s. State Library Collection.
Moonta Store, Chronicle 2 September 1899
Available in store, 1900.