PLEASE NOTE THIS BLOG’S NEW ADDRESS: austbuttonhistory.com
Department Store buttons:
John Martin & Co Ltd, Adelaide
In 1866 Otto Peters and John Martin founded ‘Peters & Martin’ as a single fronted drapery store in Rundle Street. After Peters left in 1871 Martin continued on his own, successfully expanding into adjoining properties. By 1880 the company directors now included john Martin, Edward W. Hayward,of the prominent South Australian pioneering family, Richard Martin and W. Charles. The Hayward family would continue to be involved until it was sold to David Jones in 1985.
The business became a limited liability company in 1889. That year John Martin died, a victim of his own success, according to this newspaper story …
‘John Martin’s’, also known as ‘Johnnies’, developed a national chain store in 1990 (Venture). In the 1990s store were sold to Harris Scrafe, rebadged as David Jones stores, and closed The last store under the John Martin name to close was the flagship store in the Rundle Mall on 18th March 1998.