Regular readers may be astonished at the number of tailors in Sturt and Bridge streets, Ballarat. Here are more…
Lyons & White, Ballarat:
In April 1898 James Lyons (formerly of Twentyman’s) and William White (formerly of J.B. Manning & Co) started ‘Lyons & Williams” at 12 Bridge St, declaring they were “Premier Tailors” as well as hatters and mercers. James died shortly after suffering from a stroke whilst watching a local football match in 1924, aged 65 years. He had been a very keen member of the horse racing and the football communities. The business continued to operate until around 1939. Perhaps William retired at that time, as he died in 1946.
Sam Jamieson, Ballarat:
Samuel Jamieson (1856-1938) had his tailoring business in Ballarat from 1901 until 1917, when he took up a position with W. H. Bruce Ltd, tailors of Melbourne, as a traveling representative in Tasmania. He had been the secretary of the Victorian Band Association for 9 years. He retired back to Melbourne and died there in 1938.