1st July 2019

Tailors’ buttons:

Layton Bros, Traralgon & Yarram:

Traralgon Record, 1st September 1907.

Brothers Alfred Ernest(1880-1969) and Arthur Layton (1878-1964) bought the stock of Messers Groga and Maxwell in 1907. They operated a grocery and draper store until selling up in 1936 to return to Melbourne.

J. Rees, Wangaratta:

Sporting Globe, 24th January 1934

James Rees (1882-1930) styled himself as “Wagaratta’s leading tailor”. He advertised from 1924. In 1935, five years after his death, his son Laurence talbot James Rees (1908-1981) changed the name to L.J. Rees.

Henry Buck’s, Melbourne:

Henry Buck was born in London in 1860, although he grew up in Yorkshire. In 1887 he came to New South Wales as he was suffering from tuberculosis. His health improved, he moved to Melbourne for his fiance’s sake, where he would start his men’s shirt business in Swanston Street in 1890.

He was a very successful businessman, and involved in many organisations and charities. He was awarded the Order of the British Empire for his work for the Red Cross during World War 1. His son-in-law, Frederick Dennett, was invited to join the firm, and became a director. Henry died in 1933 whilst in London on an extended holiday. The firm remains a family owned menswear and accessory specialist to this day.

The Herald, 12th April 1933. The firm’s Richmond factory was extended in 1933.

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/buck-henry-12824

https://henrybucks.com.au/pages/history

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *