Another ‘Coronet” basket of flowers with hand painted details:
Crawford & Co, Melbourne:
In 1890, Abraham Crawford, a draper of Ballarat, went into partnership with Andrew King & Co who ran a warehouse at 250-252 Flinders Street.
In 1895 the form was declared insolvent, with Crawford taking over at the same address. (One partner claimed that Crawford had manipulated the situation to get rid of his partners.)
In November 1897, “The Great Fire of Melbourne” which destroyed a whole city block, including Craig, Williamson P/L, also destroyed the warehouse. (see entry for this company on department store page.)
Crawford bought a business in Chaple Street, Prahran, and started ‘A. Crawford & Co’. He suffered a stroke in 1907 and died in 1908.