21st August 2019

Tailors’ buttons:

Denton Bros:

Button dates c.1890-1920.

William James Greaney Denton (1862-1936) with his brother Frederick John Denton (1864-1934) started the ‘Eclipse Tailoring’  establishment in Mitchell Street, Bendigo, in 1886. By 1890 they had a branch in Melbourne, which ran until 1912.

Ballarat Star 22 December 1920.

From the “Lost Bendigo” Facebook page.

Another brother, James Greaney (1866-1939), who had been an auctioneer in Melbourne, took over the Bendigo branch some time before 1903. His son Keith Douglas Denton (1890-1970) joined the firm. The Bendigo branch closed around 1922, and Fred moved to Melbourne to continue tailoring.  James was remembered as a renown charity worker in Bendigo.

A. M.Pool, Bendigo:

In 1892 Alfred Morris Pool and J. T. Williams proudly announced they were opening, as ‘Pool & Williams’ as tailors and outfitters in the premises previously occupied by the ‘London & American Tailoring Co.”  (see post on 19th July 2019) Only two years later, Williams left. Pool continued as a tailor in Bendigo until a couple of years before hid death in December, 1930 in Melbourne.

Bendigo Advertiser 25th August 1914.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *