Whitelock & Carter, Bendigo:
In 1908 partners Horace Egbert George Whitelock (1881-1923) and Gordon Carter (1885-1965) started tailoring at View Street, Bendigo. As greater room was needed, they moved to Pall Mall. During the war they were required to provide uniforms. In 1918 they built larger premises. Horace’s father John was working with them, as was Mr L. Makepeace. The firm was still in business after Whitelock’s death until at least 1925.
R. Ramage & Son/W. D. Ramage, Bendigo:
The origin of William David Ramage tailoring was with his father’s business. Richard Ramage (1829-1912) came from Scotland to Melbourne in 1853. He moved to Bendigo around 1863, starting his own business in View Street in 1888. It became R. Ramage & Sons by 1899. He had seven sons of which at least William (1878-1954), and Robert were also tailors. In 1913 they merged with the Melbourne Tailoring Company, then in 1915 it became W. D. Ramage. Around this time (1913-1916) there was also a ‘Ramage Brothers’ tailoring firm in View Street. Perhaps some of the brothers did not partake in the merger?