News flash …
Tailor’s button seen online:
Bon Marché, Perth:
As seen in the advertising below, this store opened in 1884. Unlike most drapers, they sold whips and rifles! They soon moved from Williams Street to Hay Street. By 1886 Mr Collins had sold the concern to Mr and Mrs Edward Thomas Hope. Mr Hope died of blood poisoning in August 1894 whilst on holiday back to his birth place of England, aged only 36 years. His eight month old daughter died four months later. The business was sold by his widow in 1895 to Messers George Henry Careeg, Elias Dimant and George Francis Pitchford, although Careeg soon left the partnership
Overtime it became a department store as well as a drapery. It was incorporated as Bon Marche Limited in 1897.
In 1919 a property was bought near the Hay Street store and extended through to Barrack Street. This became known as the Bon Marche Arcade. In 1954 David Jones took over Bon Marche Ltd, and rebranded it as David Jones.