Jones Bros., Port Adelaide:
In 1864 Mr Vickery Young Jones (1845-1928) joined a drapery firm with his bother Zechariah Herbert (1847 -1923) joining around 1867. When the owner sold out in 1877 the brothers bought the firm. They were successful, expanding the business to 70 employees by 1898, with branches in Commerical Road, Port Adelaide, and also in Semaphore.
In 1908 the St Vincent Street, Port Adelaide branch of John Martin’s was sold to the Jones Brothers. By the time Zachariah retired, the business was described as having drapers, gentlemen’s outfitters, carpet, linoleum, furniture and millinery departments. Vickery and two sons, William Henry and Sydney Herbert Jones, bought out his share and continued under the same name. Arthur, the eldest son of Zechariah, worked for the firm. Cottle & Lovegrove bought the firm in 1923.
W. Hillier, Mt Gambier:
William Hillier was a tailor in Mount Gambier from at least 1871 until 1881.
New button from Shierlaw & Co, Adealide: