Cygnet/Delphi/E. Walker & Son Pty. Ltd.


It is a little hard to disentangle the manufacturer from the distributor in this case.

D. C. Quinn Pty Ltd

D. C. Quinn Pty Ltd, the manufacturer of Delphi buttons, was registered on 1st October 1952 and deregistered on 9th October 2012. They were listed at 3-5 Athol Street, Leichhardt, NSW. As these are  two 1930s style red brick homes, the factory must have been small, and set up across the backyards.

Sydney Phone Directory, November 1954.

Number 3 has been rendered, but older photos show it to be of the same fed brick as number 5.

Although described up to 1969 (at least) as a button factory, they also undertook metal work. A 1970-71 report regarding casein button blanks (amongst other items) with regard to import duties as impacted by Free Trade Agreements with New Zealand included the following companies as interested:

Quinn was described as a small outfit producing blanks for their own use. So despite the fact that Delphi branded buttons were only advertised  from August until December, 1954, they kept making blanks and finished buttons. But for how long?

It is possible that Quinn originally marketed their products as ‘Cygnet’, or supplied buttons to a distributor who distributed Cygnet buttons and buckles. I have an identical buckle on both Cygnet and Walker cards.

E. Walker & Son Pty Ltd:

From 1947-8 Wise’s PO Directory.

This company was listed in directories from 1947 and listed on the stock exchange on 23rd December,1954. Registered names  associated with this company include ‘E. Walker & Son’ (1954-1982), ‘Walkers Fashion Accessories’ (c.1984-5), ‘Walkers BHS’ (1986 onwards), and ‘Bertram Fabrics’ (1979-1991). From 1991 they have traded as Bertram Pacific Pty. Ltd.  They did not manufacture buttons themselves, but imported and distributed buttons. In 1981 it was noted that they were selling costume jewellery, handkerchiefs,  belts, buckles, buttons and sewing accessories.

Note that the registration of this company coincides with the time that advertising of ‘Delphi’ buttons ended, probably due to a new distribution contract with the buttons now being marketed as ‘Walkers’.

Note the card a the bottom right is labelled ‘Wakers. A Delphi Product.’

 

Screen shot 2015-11-25 at 8.37.11 PM

Published in the Narrogin Observer (WA), 2nd December 1954.

Published in The Mercury( Hobart), 14th August 1954.

 

It appears that Delphi  was merged with Beauclaire.  However, this box came from New Zealand, so perhaps this was a joint product of Quinn, and General Plastics (NZ) who supplied their blanks.

The same buckle on a Cygnet branded card. Presumably Cygnet was owned by Walkers.

The same buckle as above is shown below on a Walkers card.  

Stunning black glass with gold coated front and sides and metal shanks.

The style of the card for these black glass buttons seems quite dated, even for 1954.

Australian Women’s Weekly, 25th January 1956. Advert for Costume Jewellery by Walkers distributed by E. Walker & Son P/L.

screen-shot-2016-11-01-at-8-49-15-pm

More glass buttons, ‘Pinnacle’, in grey and green.

Buttons and buckles from post 1966. Note the price stickers from the now defunct Waltons.

E.Walker & Son were distributors of Korbond products in they 1950’s. The buttons on their cards above and below were distributed (rather than produced) by the company.

Screen shot 2015-12-11 at 5.32.12 PM

Screen shot 2016-06-13 at 10.50.53 AM Screen shot 2016-06-13 at 10.51.09 AM

3 buckles; thanks to Carol

4 buckles thanks to Carol.

Screen shot 2016-06-16 at 7.14.08 PM