George & George Ltd, Melbourne:
In 1880 London-born brothers William Henry Harrison George (1855-1935) and Alfred Harley George (1857-1930) opened their drapery store at 11-17 Collins Street, moving to larger premises in 1883 at 280 Collins street. In 1888 they merged with Equitable Co-operative Society at 162-168 Collins street to become George & George Limited.
A disastrous fire in 1889 destroyed the 280 Collins St premises, as well as killing 3 firemen and injuring 10 others. They moved into the other premise, refurbishing and extending 2 years later. William had lost a lot of money during the depression of the late 1880s. He left for New Zealand where he ran another business until about 1920 when he returned.
The firm was known as Georges & Georges Pty. Ltd. from 1914-1933, but was known as “Georges'” from at least 1908 onwards. The store motto was “What we do, we do well”, with an emphasis on exclusive , quality goods and meticulous service.
The store was taken over by Cox brothers from 1960-66, then David jones from 1981-1995 when it finally closed.