New Menswear Store button (Thanks Helen):
Peapes & Co, George Street, Sydney:
In 1866 George Peapes (1838-1898) and William Shaw (1835-1915) bought the business of Michael Goulston at 355 George Street.
From 1888 they specialised in menswear. Mr Shaw retired in 1891 and moved to Wagga to start a new business. In 1898 Mr Peapes died, and later that year the firm became a limited company.
As business increased over the years the premises became too small, so in 1905 it underwent a major refurbishment. The follow photos were published in The Sydney Mail and NSW Advertiser on the 13th September, 1905.
In 1915 they planned to raze the building, as it was still inadequate but this was delayed due to the War.
In the Sydney Mail, 19th December 1923, there was much interest in the new Georgian Revival style Peapes Building. This was located opposite to the site of the original business.
In 1970 the business closed and the building was sold. The demolition of a neighbouring building over the last couple of years uncovered an old painted advertisement on the side of the former store.