July 2017

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NEW ADDRESS OF THIS BLOG IS austbuttonhistory.com

 

A selection of buttons and stories from July 2017

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Glass buttons

The Beauclaire Rose from the 1950s (or maybe 1940s) on this 1980s plus Beutron card.

The Beauclaire Rose from the 1950s (or maybe 1940s) on this 1980s plus Beutron card.

New Zealand buttons:

How ever much you love them, no stealing!

Daily News (Perth) 30th January 1913.  Is the inference that a married woman shouldn’t need to steal, because her husband should give her money?

 

 

 

 

Evening News (Sydney) 31st October 1927.

The Daily News (Perth) 4th March 1942.

News(Adelaide) 20th February 1952.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Victorian  Volunteer Cadets Corps:

 

 

 

 

 

The button belongs to the Victorian  Volunteer Cadets Corps, which was agreed upon on 27th March 1884 and formally gazetted on the 23rd January 1885.  In 1883 Stokes and Martin had signed all  their estate over to trustees for their creditors.  Perhaps they continued to trade for some time despite this,  or else Stokes trading with his sons, or another button manufacturer,  bought up and used pre-existing stock to make these buttons.  However that may be,  this button must date from 1884. 

Victorian Cadet Corps badge with Queen Victoria Crown. Courtesy http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-army-today/cadet-history.htm

Yellow Cab Company:

The button came a 3/4 inch and 1 inch size; this one is 1 inch.  It has a silvered front with a brass back plate and copper wire shank. Backmark, Stokes & Sons, Melbourne.

In early 1924 Mr Pearson William Tewkesbury proposed to introduce to Australia the “Chicago Yellow” cab.  He had already been involved several other taxi companies,  the City Motor Service Ltd. (from 1911) and the Royal Blue Motor Service Pty. Ltd. (from 1921) in Melbourne,  and the de Luxe in Sydney.  This company,  ‘The Yellow Cabs of Australia Limited ‘,  was the first in Australia to run meter-operated cabs,  and did not to charge the customer for the return journey when the cab was empty!  This was achieve by locating various depots in the suburbs so the taxi could wait at the nearest location rather than return to the city.

The Mail (Adelaide) 1st March 1924.

The company commenced operations in Melbourne in October 1924,  12 months later in Sydney,  and by 1926 in Brisbane,  Adelaide and Perth.  The taxis were custom built A2 Broughams,  imported from the United States.  The driver had the luggage compartment along side him in the front,  with a window separating him from the passengers behind.  The meter was fitted in the front next to the window by the driver.  The driver wore distinctive brown uniforms including caps.  By 1938 the drivers were allowed to drive in khaki shirts and ties,  without coats, in the heat of summer.  In July 1942 the company employed women as drivers for the first time.  They too wore uniforms.

From the State Library of South Australia.

The Sun (Sydney) 10th March 1948

Interestingly,  this was not the first Yellow Cab Company in Australia.  From September 1921 William Grimes Baily ran a company of this name.  He used a fleet of Dodge taxi-cabs.  In October 1922 he repainted the taxis black and white and changed the name to the Black and White taxi company,  claiming the  Sydney sunshine was fading the paint!

The Sun (Sydney) 7th September 1921.

The Sun (Sydney) 28th October 1922.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply