K.G. Luke Pty Ltd:
Sir Kenneth George Luke (1896-1971) was a successful businessman and V.F.L. football administrator. He became a partner in a metal-spinning and silverware business in Carlton in 1921, becoming the owner by 1925. It would become a successful silverware and military accoutrement firm, also making hospital equipment. In 1930 it was listed as K.G Luke Pty. Ltd. then in 1953 became K.G. luke (A/Asia) Ltd. The name changed to Luke Ltd. in 1976 and was taken over by National Consolidated Ltd in 1983.
From 1935 -1945 K. G. Luke made brass, copper, oxidised and white metal buttons for military needs, as well as brooches, badges, buckles, identity disks and heated food trolleys.
The button below is interesting: After the battle for Guadalcanal the First Marine Division came to Australia to be rested, particularly in Melbourne. They required warmer clothes for winter and so the ‘Australian Battle Jacket’ was made for them in 1943. It was referred to as the Vandegrift jacket.