Thanks to Ronald Wilson for this history of Maxart:
John (Jack) Frederick Wilson (1916-1992) was an industrial chemist. After the war Jack went into business at Maxart Productions with his brother Maxwell Henry Wilson (1918-1980) who had established the company to supply his mother’s Block Arcade business (Rosebud Frock Decorators) with sequins & beads from about 1947.
The company then diversified into the manufacture and importing of buttons. Jack was successful in developing the business further by dyeing buttons to the latest fashion colours. Max then developed the packaging of buttons in tubes which better satisfied the display needs of button retailers for display purposes as well as allowing consumers to buy just the quantity of buttons that they required. The idea was quickly adopted and is still a popular button display method worldwide.
Maxart became the major manufacturer of fashion buttons to Australian retailers including Myer as well as specialist wool and fabric stores. Later his three sons joined the business. They diversified the company’s product range. Maxart Plastics Pty. Ltd. introduced injection moulding with Frank Lenthall to manufacture Nylon and ABS Plated buttons. Brian and Alan Wilson diversified the company further into women’s belts then introduced a highly successful range of jewellery quality buttons imported from overseas. Ronald later bought out the Maxart companies from the family.
Maxart stopped trading in 1992. The removal of tariffs on garment imports had dramatically reduced demand for buttons in Australia from industry and individuals.
From the Victorian Public Archive: Maxart applied to extend the factory in 1957, and again in 1964 to extend and repair after fire damage.
Now from Lois’s collection: