Coles: 1914 onwards / Embassy brand: 1929-1994

George James (G.J.) Coles opened his first variety store in 1914 in Collingwood, Melbourne.  During the 1920’s more stores were opened. In 1929 the ‘Embassy’ brand was launched, initially for gramophone records, but over the years extending to hundreds of products. The brand was discontinued in 1994.   https://www.coles.com.au/about-coles/centenary  At some stage in the 1980-90s Coles sold cards of buttons under the name ‘Haby Habits”. These, like the Embassy buttons, were labelled as being made in Australia. Over the years various logos were used.  You’ll notice the changes on the below examples.

Embassy branded pearl buttons from the 1950s.

The corners are no longer rounded. Prices are now printed onto the cards. Only six pence for six buttons!

screen-shot-2016-10-02-at-7-35-52-pm

From Carol's collection.

From Carol’s collection.

From Lois's collection.

From Lois’s collection.

From Lois's collection: A slight variation of the red ducks.

From Lois’s collection:  A variation of the red ducks.

Screen shot 2016-05-17 at 9.13.36 PM

From Carol's collection.

From Carol’s collection.

Thanks to Louis.

Thanks to Louis.